We woke up early on Sunday morning and made our way south to visit Mt. Rainier National Park. The northwest had an unbelievable winter season. We thought we would be seeing fields of wild flowers but instead we were welcomed with about 10 feet of snow. We were informed that there was over 30% more snow than this time last year. The ranger convinced us that we were fit enough and had plenty of gear to hike up the mountain. I was a little apprehensive as while we were putting on our tennis shoes most others were gearing up for what looked like a trek up Mt. Everest. I am so glad that we decided to hike up as it was one of the most amazing things I have done in my lifetime! The views from up there were gorgeous. We hiked about two hours up. On our way down, one gentleman asked if we had come from Camp Muir. We must have looked either very experienced or very tired as Camp Muir is the base camp to summit Mt. Rainier. Needless to say we did not make it to Camp Muir but we did make it to Panorama Point. We had a fantastic time even though I got one of the worst sunburns ever. I will lather up next time we go up...maybe to hike to Camp Muir.

Photo op in front of the snow...remind you that Bush is 6'2!

Dot and I ready for our hike!

Bush hiking up.

Dot's hat and walking stick. A lady handed this stick to us at the beginning of our hike. We wouldn't have made it without her generous gift!


Posing in front of Rainier.

Taking a break.

Mt. Rainier from the trail.

Water fall that we had to cross to keep going up to Panorama Point.

Looking down to see how far we had come. Those are not ants...they are people!

A bird that we found along the way. Ready for Summer!

Eating our lunch.

View from Panorama Point. Mt. Albert in the distance.

Mt. St. Helen's in the distance.

Furry friend.

Mountaineers.

It was so steep and slushy for our way down. I slipped and then decided that it was actually easier to slide down than walk. Dorothy and I put the stick in front of us like it was a handle to a roller coaster and slide down the mountain. Mind you this is right after the guy asked us if we had been to base camp! Ha Ha!

Dot getting ready to ride down a chute. She and Bush were the brave souls that tried this. I did not until the end of the hike.

Gracefully sliding

Back to flat ground...snow.

The waterfall fell under the layer of snow and then reappeared down the mountain. It looked so cool disappearing into this massive amount of snow.

Bush getting ready for another ride down.

This one was really steep!


Great action shot!

Welcome to Paradise. A very warm welcome it was. We were glad to be finished!

Mt. Rainier

Photo op

Showing off my burn...I hate getting sunburned and I am really good about wearing sunscreen. I am still kicking myself about this one. You would think I would know better since I lived in the mountains for four years?

Dot at the entrance on our way out.


After a little rest when we got home Dot and I went to sushi and then went to catch the sunset at Golden Gardens over looking the Puget sound. It was a great way to end our day!
No comments:
Post a Comment